You either love it or loathe it! Truth is, if moving house is on the horizon, you’re going to have to get cracking on a plan to ensure it’s as stress-free as possible. Relocating with the help of a professional removalist team is going to make the world of difference. But it all starts with you. These house-moving tips will become your checklist for the day.
Why is moving house so stressful?
Moving can conjure up all sorts of emotions. It’s overwhelming because often you don’t know where to start and then there’s the complete unknown to deal with. Don’t worry, you’re not alone.
Why does moving give some people stress and anxiety?
Stress and anxiety are feelings commonly thrown around by those who are either preparing for, or in the midst of relocating. What was once our comfort zone, a sense of familiarity and our daily routine is now thrown up in the air and can land in all sorts of unusual places when we arrive at our new home.
What is the most stressful thing about moving house?
Stress impacts everyone differently. However, you’ll find that tackling a significant life event such as this without a plan might be your trigger.
How to stay stress-free when you move
These 5 moving tips will go a long way to helping you stay stress-free when moving house.
- Get rid of clutter – When packing, do a clean out along the way. Sort your items into must-haves and a donate/resell pile. You could end up making some money along the way, too. Remember, the less you pack, the less it can cost in-house removal fees – and the less you have to unpack at the other end. Win-win!
- Pack an essentials box – Keep your valuables with you at all times along with handy essential items that might be needed over the first few days. This could include anything from cleaning products to a few plates and glasses, plus coffee, snacks and even a pair of scissors to help open boxes.
- Label boxes – It might sound like an unnecessary tip, however, clearly labelled boxes not only assist the home removalists, but if you are left with unopened boxes in storage, you’ll at least know where to find your Christmas plates, summer dresses, or your child’s favourite books that are safely packed away.
- Use strong boxes – Investing in quality, sturdy boxes is a must. Ask your removalist to assist with the supply of boxes and packing materials and don’t forget packing tape to hold everything securely. It’s common to overload boxes but avoid the urge.
- Wrap breakables – Use plastic bags, bubble wrap and old towels/blankets to protect your precious items before boxing. Consider adding a FRAGILE label to any breakables to alert those moving your items on the day.
How do I relocate smoothly?
Having a plan for the day of the move will help relieve stress, but there’s nothing more comforting than working with local Brisbane removalists that can handle everything for you. All Purpose Removals and Storage are house removal specialists, assisting you well before moving day and well into the unpacking phase. And if packing is not your thing, ask the team about their moving packing service. It’s one less thing you need to worry about.